Sunday, May 20, 2012

Monitor

Hi everyone!

It's a gorgeous Sunday today in Lawrence (though I am sad that it is almost over..... It's almost 8 and I will be heading to bed in 2 hours, and wouldn't you know, that means tomorrow is Monday! Hate Mondays....) Yeah okay moving on.

Today this will be a brief post but still an important one. Why? It is because you cannot settle for just any old monitor after the amount of money you have spent on your pc. It needs a decent display so you can enjoy all that your computer can give.

So what should you look for in a monitor. Well first and foremost is the size. How big should your monitor be and what resolution it can go up to are going to be of primary concern. For the system I have built, 1080p (1920 x 1080) is the minimum resolution I wanted. Next should be response time which is measured in milliseconds. The lower the number the faster the response time and the less tearing, jagged and laggy the video/game will look. This isn't as big a concern now as it used to be previously since you can find a lot of monitors in the 5ms category which is pretty fast and you should not notice much, if any image problems. Having an LED or LED Backlight monitor is also advantageous as LED technology allows your monitor to be very thin thereby saving space and also makes the monitor very light.

The higher the resolution, the more powerful your hardware has to be and if you want to display in ultra high resolutions (beyond 1080p) you will need more powerful video cards. Look for GTX 570, Radeon HD 6970 or go for NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFireX which enables you among other things to use two or more less powerful video cards to give the performance of higher end video cards.

Some good companies which you can opt for are Samsung, Asus, Acer, NEC and HP. Since I wanted to build a multi-display setup, I decided to go for smaller sized monitors. Of course beyond 1080p monitors are expensive so for now I am building a 1080p display setup. Eventually I want 3 monitors and if possible, one of them will be 3D (Why? Umm.... why not!?) The monitors I have now currently are one 20inch Gateway HX2000 which I got on sale for $99 and one 23inch HP 2311x which I got on sale for ~$150.





I plan to get two more HP2311x if possible to make a 3 display setup. Though as of late I am liking more and more the option to buy a desk stand which can support 3 monitors to save space.



This kind of setup will save space though I might need to change monitors as my current ones are not VESA mount capable. I will decide that though when I have more money ^_^. Until then, 3 monitors side by side will have to do.

Well that is it for monitors. Just remember what usage are you expecting for yourself and what kind of display setup you want and buy accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment