Friday, June 1, 2012

Windows 8 Release Preview

Hi all!

So I finally installed the Retail Preview of Windows 8. The test computer is my old PC that I still have lying around. I wanted to try installing on a basic computer so that I can find out exactly what it's hardware requirements are and how fast it runs on it.

The computer specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.60 Ghz
2GB DDR2
40GB PATA Hard Drive
AMD Radeon HD 4550

So after burning the iso on the DVD, the boot took 2 minutes. Initial setup took another 4 minutes. Install took 21 minutes, Device Setup and System Setup took another 4 minutes. Personalizing options took another 2 minutes for a total boot to start up time of 33 minutes.



Personalize had some interesting options including color choices. The choices were several (though most were just too bright for my tastes. I settles for blue. It also asked for my email address and all to setup Sync and to log in via my email address as well if I so chose. The Store has some interesting apps already including one called Tune In. It gives you the options to choose from internet radio stations. The weird thing though was that you could not control the volume from inside the app. I had to go to the desktop to change the volume. The interesting feature though was that you could lock it to the side of your desktop.


(Excuse the background. Not my choice :-p)

The other thing I noted was that when you can hit backspace to exit the apps but they don't close. On bringing up the Task Manager, it showed the apps still running so you have to Alt+F4 to actually close it.

Internet Exlporer is very fast.


The weird thing though is that if you have already launched IE from the apps and then go to your desktop and launch IE from there, it will launch a separate IE and not actually bring up the original IE you launched from the metro apps.

The weather app looks very cool as well



I installed Disciples II, an old game that came out on the XP. It had compatibility issues with Win 8 and did not launch. I will install other games and report back my progress and any bugs I run in to. On trying to install Microsoft Security Essentials, it informed me that it was not needed as the Windows Defender that came with the OS works instead of MSE (though I would recommend if you want a good, fast anti virus that uses very little resources, you should get MSE.) I downloaded Google Chrome and Apache Open Office and am pleased to say they all work fine. When I changed the background, it also changed the task bar colors. It has an automatic setting which changes colors according to the background.

This is what my final screen look like for now



Windows 8 look and feels like its more meant for Tablets and Phones. The metro apps look like they will fit nicely on a touch screen but feel a bit pointless when it comes to a desktop. Windows 8 is based off of Windows 7 so it is as fast and stable as 7. I will fully admit the possibility that my reservations may be more because I am not used to the new setup and to remove that bias I will be using Windows 8 extensively to make sure that it is not just because of it being so different. For now though I don't really understand the point of launching Windows 8 so soon after 7. 7 was a major update over the Vista blunder and I feel Microsoft should have stuck with it for a bit longer. The launch of Windows 8 feels a bit forced and as such may more be a signal of Microsoft's decision to compete against Apple in the Tablet/Smart Phone market.

For now though, I will be sticking with Windows 7 and will not be upgrading when Windows 8 hits the market. I do not have the money nor the inclination right now to upgrade. I will keep reporting on Windows 8 as the week progresses and I test more things out.

Kiyoshi out ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment