Thursday, June 14, 2012

Windows 8 RP Update

Hi everyone,

I have been using Windows 8 RP for a while now. As mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to use it to make sure my bias wasn't just because the new Windows does things differently. Before we proceed any further I want to remind people of the specs of the test PC I am using.

CPU : AMD 64X2 4400+ 2.30Ghz
RAM : 2 GB
GPU : AMD Radeon HD 4550
60GB PATA Hard Drive

So how does it feel with some time in to it? Well in all fairness my opinion has not changed much since my first review. I love the apps that are on it with my current favorites being Global Soccer and Nature Space Holographic Audio (kind of a meditation helper if you will.)











The apps are designed very well and it does appear a lot of effort has went in to refining the display properties when you start an app.

The thing that annoys me is that when you open an app, it takes up the whole screen and the only way to switch to another one is to either close it or back out of it to go to another one. I am so used to having multiple windows opened that it is taking a while to go back to a single instance use. I know some people like the idea of just having one app vieweing at a time but for me I like having multiple apps open. You can still back out and open another app and then if you want Alt+Tab into them if you want. Seeing that I thought about adding a second display to see what would happen. Since this is an old card using only a Engineering Sample Driver, some options might not be enabled but I had the choice of Extending my Display, Cloning, Display only on 1 so I am right now running on Extend. Below is what it looks like when I have the apps open. Display on the left is the main display and on the right is the secondary display.



Please note that both displays have different resolutions hence the black space underneath the seconday display. If you open anything in the secondary screen, the metro apps go away even if the application opens in the secondary display as opposed to the primary display. Same story if an app is open and you want to open anything on the second display it will take you out of the app. You can either Alt+Tab to open it or go back into apps and than re open the app. Of course these issues might not exist with a modern GPU or when Windows 8 is finally released but it does exist for now and you might run into them if you have old hardware. Opening songs from the Music app I discovered that yet again there is no volume control in the app itself pointing to the fact that it is meant more for tablets where you have dedicated buttons for volume control.


(No Volume Control)

(Nothing here either)

IE is fast which is very impressive and there is no significant slow down as Windows opens or you open different programs so it is not too taxing on your hardware.

Google has said that it will build a Chrome to use the power of Metro Apps and display like IE does and I will be downloading it to see how it performs.

To Shut Down the system, you can either go from Ctrl+Alt+Delete or you can go hit Start, go in to the apps screen, at the top right you will see your name click that, hit sign out and then click shut down when it takes you to the main screen. To me it again points to tablets where you have a dedicated power button on the device itself.

Now all of these things might be taken care of once Windows 8 releases but I can for now only go by what I see in the RP. The point is Windows 8 looks gorgeous but operates rather clumsily. My earlier opinion of it feeling like a cross between a desktop OS and a tablet/smartphone OS still stays strong.

Windows 8 is debuting soon but as things stand, I will not be updating to it once it hits the market.

That's it for now folks. I will be posting something new rather soon as well so be ready for more.

Till then,
Kiyoshi Out.
Psst... Hey... Spread the word! +1, Subscribe,Tweet ^_^ Thank you for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment